This ad is expired.
Academic Advisor & Retention Specialist - College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
Position Number: E00949
Salary for Announcement: The salary range for this position is $37,400 - $46,800. The salary of the finalist selected for this role will be set based upon a variety of factors, including but not limited to, internal equity, education, experience, specialty and training.The above salary range represents the Universitys good faith and reasonable estimate of the range of possible compensation at the time of posting. MSU Denver offers a full benefits package.
Employee Category: Professional staff
Department: Communication Studies
The College of Letters, Arts and Sciences at MSU Denver is seeking applicants for an Academic Advisor & Retention Specialist (AARS) position. The Academic Advisor & Retention Specialist (AARS) is responsible for helping incoming and continuing students using developmental advising techniques. Serving both on-campus and online students, the AARS will help students determine an appropriate academic path, including selecting an appropriate major, choosing classes, and beginning to define a career path. In collaboration with advising coordinators, chairs, and other faculty members in the academic departments served, the Academic Advisor & Retention Specialist will make targeted outreach to students to identify potential obstacles to retention and graduation.
The AARS also helps plan and deliver University-wide and College-wide advising programs and initiatives, such as new student orientation advising, support for General Studies, support for CLAS curricular initiatives, and support for the University's Hispanic Serving Institution initiative.
The Academic Advisor & Retention Specialist will report to the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences (CLAS) and work with students in the Departments of Communication Studies and Journalism & Media Production.
MSU Denver is particularly interested in applicants who have experience working with students from diverse backgrounds and a demonstrated commitment to improving access to higher education for under-represented and historically minoritized groups. Our student population consists of over 50% first-generation students and over 45% students of color. We are a designated Hispanic Serving Institution (HSI) located in downtown Denver. As the third largest institution of higher education in Colorado and the only institution with an open access mission, MSU Denver is a model university for today's college students. The University serves the most diverse undergraduate student population in the state, as well as the most first-generation students and Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals students.
The primary responsibilities are to provide informed guidance and accurate information in the most efficient, accessible, and comprehensive manner possible to assist students in reaching their educational, life, and career goals.
Academic Advising (50%)
- Conduct individual advising sessions with students
- Assist with course selection, scheduling, and registration
- Help students with long-term degree planning
- Assist with and evaluate transfer courses and submit degree exceptions, where applicable
- Refer students to appropriate university resources
- Provide basic information related to career planning, financial aid, admissions and other applicable information related to student needs
- Manage caseloads of students
- Conduct outreach to students by making phone calls and emails to continuing students
- Identify students who are not reaching program and career-selection milestones as defined by department chairs or faculty advising coordinators
- Design and implement appropriate interventions
- Assist with the collection of data for the preparation of reporting related to the assessment of advising services
- Participate in University recruitment events, including outreach and involvement with under-represented groups
- Participate in Student Orientation Advising and Registration (SOAR) and CLAS Transfer Student Orientations
- Work with the Admissions office to identify newly admitted CLAS majors and contact them regarding orientation and advising
- Support the Universitys Hispanic Serving Institution initiative
- Remain up to date on advising systems and trends in developmental advising
- Become/remain knowledgeable about the curriculum over time
- Provide advising assistance and training for CLAS faculty
- Participate in advisor training sessions
- Attend professional development opportunities whenever possible
- Bachelors degree
- Demonstrated experience with developmental advising techniques (or equivalent experience) at an accredited institution
- Masters degree in Higher Education, College Personnel, Counseling, or related field OR an academic discipline taught in the College of Letters, Arts and Sciences
- Demonstrated experience working with advising software platforms (e.g. Student Success Collaborative, GradesFirst, Starfish, or similar)
- Experience working with and sensitivity to the needs of a diverse urban student population including, but not limited to, students of color, LGBTQIA students, students from low-income backgrounds, first-generation students, students with disabilities, undocumented students, non-traditional students, Military Veterans, and English-language learners
- Working knowledge of student information system software (e.g. Banner, DegreeWorks, CampusVue, GradesFirst, Starfish, Student Success Collaborative)
- Demonstrated experience in program assessment and/or annual reporting
- Demonstrated experience using social media technology in advising
- Bilingual (English/Spanish)
Posting Date: 12/22/2021
Closing Instructions: Open Until Filled
Special Instructions to Applicant:
Complete applications received by Wednesday, January 19, 2022 at 11:59 PM MST will receive full consideration. All applicants must submit an application through our online system, www.msudenverjobs.com. The position is open until filled.
References refers to a list of three professional references and their contact information. At least one reference must be a supervisor (former or current).
Official transcripts will be required of the candidate selected for hire.
The health and safety of students, faculty, staff and our prospective teammates are our highest priority and as an institution, we are required to have proof of vaccination on file for all employees.
MSU Denver is requiring all employees to provide proof of being fully vaccinated for Covid-19, or to submit an exemption and be subject to following the Covid-19 safety protocols. As an employee of MSU Denver, an exemption or lack of proof of vaccination will require you to submit to weekly Covid-19 testing starting the week of August 23, 2021. Additionally, all institutions on campus are requiring that masks be worn indoors regardless of your vaccinations status.
To apply, visit https://www.msudenverjobs.com/postings/18682
Copyright 2021 Jobelephant.com Inc. All rights reserved.
Posted by the FREE value-added recruitment advertising agency